Let me give you instances when persons get their identities stolen via unwanted telephone calls:
1. The call is unsolicited. Drop it.
2. The telemarketer always try to persuade you to give your personal numbers whenever he got a chance. In fact, all through out the conversation, it is what he keeps on trying to do.
3. The caller offers too-good-to-be-true offers.
4. The caller will identify himself as a distant relative, a long lost friend or neighbor, or someone who is in dire need, a situation that he makes sound like a matter of life and death.
5. The caller tries to touch your soft spot by asking donations or help for the most unfortunate people in the most desperate situations.
Those are actually just some of the tactics spammers use to steal your identity and money. There are still other ways/reasons. So, what do you do?
1. Again, as mentioned, drop the call.
2. Ask lots of questions. The caller will drop the call when you bombard him with relevant questions. Make him feel that you are in control of the conversation. Stay cool and calm. Be alert and on your guard.
3. Never ever give out any personal number or data about you. Never pay for anything. Never get threatened.
4. Share the incident to your family, trusted friends, and proper authorities.
5. Keep on updating yourself about situations like this and learn how to effectively deal with spams.
Always keep yourself safe.